~Mark Twain

If there's one thing I've learned about Don in three years, it's that he is a bed hog. For the first year of our marriage, he had me fooled into thinking that he was snuggling up to me. Almost every morning I'd wake up clinging to the last meager inches of the bed, usually in the fetal position. However, I figure that we even each other out; I hog the covers. I've given him a choice when it comes to this by explaining that: while the rest of my body may be mammal, my feet are, in fact, cold blooded. Naturally, they need more of the blanket to keep them warm, so it's either the blanket warms them, or his legs. Our first Christmas Don bought me several pairs of fuzzy socks to sleep in. "They're for me," he grinned, "so that you won't stick your icicle feet on me." They were irresistibly soft and kept my toes toasty. While I wasn't prepared for having a bed hog as a husband, I think it's safe to say that I wasn't prepared for Don. Not in the slightest.
He drives me crazy. And I'm not just talking about the bed hogging thing, or that he's more stubborn than I am (and that's saying something). It's also the fact that he likes to share our most embarrassing moments publicly. He's also the most maddening person in the world to argue with, because he's usually right. Which makes it even more infuriating. He's the only person that can really get under my skin, and the only person that I've loved enough to let them.
He's the best thing that ever happened to me.
Happy anniversary, Sweetheart. Here's to the tickle tortures, water fights, I-love-you kisses, dirty dishes, laughing til we cry, crying til we laugh, pee-green broccoli soup that we poured down the toilet because it was too horrible to eat, homemade ice cream, cinder-block walled apartments, tears on your t-shirt, disagreements, pillow talk, broken down cars, surprise flowers, sick-day balloons, partially cooked Thanksgiving turkeys, road trips, midnight movies, long conversations, and the fact that you save the last bite for me. Here's to us. You're my handy man, and fix everything that's broken or I break in my life, including me.
So to the rest of you, help us to celebrate our anniversary by doing a few things: first, listen to our song. It's conveniently located at the top of my playlist, it's called, "Songbird". And second, go kiss/tickle/hug that infuriating significant other in your life. Life really is beautiful.





11 comments:
happy anniversary, don and shmee! we love you guys!
This is an awesome blog. Irrisistably maddening. I like it.
happy anniversary. i go tickle aidan right now but he'd be kinda upset because he's sleeping but i'll make sure i get him when he gets up.
Awww... that is sweet! I am really glad that you list the annoying stuff that he does. Because I know everyone marries their "so called perfect" guy... but I truley believe that it is the imperfections that make us stronger... so I thought that was cute. anyway Happy Day for you!
PS... Love the new header! You chose awesome pics!
When I married your father I didn't think I could possibly love him anymore than I did as a newly wed. Now, I find that I love him even more after all these years. We have weathered the storms of life together and even though we are a little battered...we are still standing! Yesterday he told me that I have been "rocking his world" for 33 years...He's my anchor. Love is the journey. Aleta
Hey erin this is your cousin shauna. Grandma just gave me a whole bunch of the cousin's blog addresses so I hope you don't mind that I'm on here:) Happy Anniversary a little while ago! You are so cute, I love your blog. So we should get together sometime eh? Oh yeah if you are interested we also have a blog it's thessvollenzien.blogspot.com.....well hope I get to see you soon!
Erin
That was soooo sweet, you are very poetic! I am impressed. :)
hey erin we need your phone number or if you could call us sometime i need to talk to ya. we have some stuff we would like to give ya. well congrats on your aniversary i remember aidan and i dumping broclolie soup down the toilet as well and having to leave the house because it stunk so bad. it's so fun to have these great memories and know that you are going to create so many more.
Hey there Erin! So I just got caught back up on you blog now that I am back in the land of the bloggers so to speak. And I just wanted to tell you that I miss your face! Reading all that reminded me of why you are one of my most favorite people ever. I hope I can see you in December when I'm home on leave!
Do you remember me? I just saw Brady's on my sister in law Shauna's blog and viola! I saw a ton of our old friends from Aggie Village on here too. What a gold mine! I love your blog-- it looks like you have a fun camera. Hey do you think you could tell me how to get a hold of Robyn Peer. Her blog is private but I've trying to find her for years!
Post a Comment